Asylum Training, April 30, 2016
Physicians for Human Rights is Offering a Spring Continuing Education Training
The training is in partnership with the Program for Torture Victims and will be hosted by the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
Space is limited; reserve your spot today.
Introduction to Forensic Documentation of Trauma: Evaluating Immigrant Survivors of Torture and Ill-Treatment
Saturday, April 30, 2016
9:00am – 5:00pm
Keck School of Medicine of USC
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Physical and psychological evaluations can help survivors fleeing persecution rebuild their lives safely in the United States. This training will provide an opportunity for health professionals to learn from experienced psychologists, physicians, and legal experts about the skills necessary to document evidence of torture and other human rights abuses.
Physicians, psychologists, and licensed clinical social workers interested in becoming volunteers with Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) are welcome to attend. Opportunities to volunteer will be facilitated by PHR at the training and in the months following; we ask that attendees make a commitment to engage in PHR’s work. Mastery of human rights documentation comes with practice, and post-training volunteer opportunities will allow for continued professional development.
- Human rights law, immigration law, and the importance of health professionals and forensic documentation in the immigration process
- Physical and psychological evidence of torture and other human rights abuses
- Effective medical-legal documentation, including affidavit-writing and oral testimony
- Best practices for collaboration between health professionals and attorneys
- Evaluating asylum seekers in detention
- For Medical Students: $30
- For Clinicians Affiliated with USC-Keck: $100
- For Other Affiliations: $125
The registration fee includes the following:
- A copy of the "Examining Asylum Seekers" manual - a $45 value
- Training materials
Application for Elective CME Credits from the AAFP has been filed
For more information, please contact email@example.com.